Hey there, lovely! If you’re newly engaged and feel overwhelmed with selecting the perfect photographer to capture your big day, you’ve come to the right place!
Each bride deserves a day that is memorable, incredible and unique to her. Part of the incredible experience you deserve is having a wedding photographer who treats you like a queen and goes above and BEYOND to deliver you with exactly the type of images and experience you are looking for.
Whether you have already narrowed down your list of prospective photographers, or if you have no idea where to start, I’m happy to provide you with these top five tips for finding the right photographer for you!
- Decide on your photography budget. First and foremost, you must decide on how much you’d like to spend on your wedding photography. If it’s something that’s important to you (which it likely is since you’re reading this post!), make sure you’ve allocated enough funds to cover the type of experienced photographer you’re looking for. Typically brides spend anywhere from 10-15 percent of their overall wedding budget on photography. Knowing what you’re able and willing to spend will help narrow your pool of potential photographers.
- Ask friends or family members for their recommendations. A great place to do this is on your own social media networks such as Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. You can also find regional Facebook groups where you can ask for recommendations to people outside of your friend circle. You’ll want to make a list based on the feedback you received that includes the photographer’s name, contact information, pricing range, and what people liked about them. (click here to download a free spreadsheet to keep track of these items!) Be sure to pay attention to any negative feedback you receive, too!
- Do research on your top picks. Don’t worry, this step is actually fun! Find the photographers you are considering on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and through Google. Your photographer should have a robust presence across a number of these platforms and should have some sort of website where you can contact them. Be sure to check out their bios to learn more about their personalities in order to make sure you will work well together, look at all of their past wedding galleries, and read reviews from past clients. You should feel like you know who they are as a person after this step and be confident that their style of photography is exactly what you’re looking for on your big day.
- Contact your top five through their websites. Be sure to include the date and location of your wedding, a bit about yourself and your fiancé, and mention what about their work led you to contact them. Here is what you’re looking for in their response to make sure that they’re a good fit for you: 1) they respond within 48 hours to your request, 2) their pricing fits into your budget, 3) they are available on the date of your wedding, 4) they convey excitement that you contacted them and want to know more!
- Have an in-person or video chat with your finalists. If you still aren’t able to narrow it down to one photographer after the first four steps, it’s time to meet with them face-to-face. Whether the meeting is in person or via video, you should be able to get a feeling about them, and you’ll probably just know that they’re the right person for your big day. (kind of like how you just knew your fiancé was the one!)
That’s it! Good luck, ladies!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Kelsey is a wedding and engagement photographer based out of Marquette, Michigan. She is a proud mama, wife, dog lover and fan of anything with potatoes.
WANT EVEN MORE RESOURCES ON HOW TO END UP WITH WEDDING PHOTOS YOU’LL LOVE FOR YEARS TO COME? SUBSCRIBE TO MY NEWSLETTER!